5 Jan 2016

Ultrasounds

Ultrasounds have not been the funnest of experiences for me.

Compared to the Mushroom, this pregnancy has not been great.  And I feel guilty saying that because I know people who have well and truly suffered through pregnancy but I have felt genuinely ill, not morning sickness but unwell with random illnesses and bone tired.  As a result, I've been irrational and emotional and I've really had a gutful. Literally.

So here are the facts:

I'm overweight
I'm pregnant
I'm emotional
I'm sensitive

So far this pregnancy I have had to have five ultrasounds.

Five.

All of them have taken place at the delightful North Queensland Xray.

I had to have two dating scans, a nuchal translucency scan and two morphology scans.  My second morphology scan was last week.

At my first dating scan the radiographer exasperatedly said that he couldn't see anything.

I had had an ectopic pregnancy only 8 weeks before this so was quite nervous that this pregnancy may also be ectopic.  I said as much to the radiographer and he advised that he couldn't see anything significant but egg sac was in the right place.  Come back in 2 weeks.  I was 5 weeks pregnant.

I went back 2 weeks later and had to have a transvaginal ultrasound.  Fun.  The radiographer was also extremely pleasant and again noted that he couldn't see anything, but egg sac again is in the right place and only one baby.

To make the experience even better, I was also kept waiting for nearly an hour.

At my nuchal scan, 12 weeks, I had a female radiographer.  I was at the radiology practice for 3.5 hours and had to make up time at work.  She poked and prodded me so much and I was sore for days afterwards.

I had to wait a few days for the results from this one but Midwife and Dr both assured me everything was good, despite my fatness making it hard to see certain things properly.  My words, not theirs.

At my first morphology scan I was kept waiting 40 minutes.  With a full bladder this is like torture.  Again I had a female radiographer but she was actually lovely.  She told me what we were looking at and why and for once, I actually felt like I knew what was going on.  She also let me pee, which is always good.  

Two days later I received a call from my midwife to say that the results from the scan were in.  Everything looks fine, no anomalies detected, however, due to my size, certain areas were less visible.  Recommend re-scan in 4 weeks.  Midwife is amazing and wonderful and she says let's see what OBGYN says at appointment in 1.5 weeks time.

OBGYN is happy with everything.  Baby looks good, I look good (DUH) however he does think I should have scan again.

ARGH!

He refers me to the hospital to have a scan there but lo and behold they can't fit me in for 6 weeks.  6 FUCKING WEEKS.

I go back to my GP.  I get a referral again to guess where?!  My favourite place, NORTH QLD XRAY! DOUBLE ARGH!!!

I make my appointment for the week between Christmas and New Year as Juffin is home and can watch the Mushroom. They reschedule my appointment so I'm in at 4.30 on a Tuesday afternoon.

For once, I'm not kept waiting.

I get called in and it's the delightful radiographer from my first two scans.  Yay... not!

This piece of shit human being says three sentences to me:

Jump up on the bed and I'll be right with you.
Pull your clothes down more, otherwise I'll never see anything
That's it, we're done.

I shit you not.

I have never felt more uncomfortable in my entire fucking life.

At one point I nearly asked him if I'd done something to offend him!

RUDE C WORD!!

I walked out of there and cried all the way home.

Unsurprisingly heard back about results and again, I'm just too fat to see things clearly but Midwife assured me that she's happy so I shouldn't worry.

I'm angry and sad all over again just thinking about it. It's hard enough being pregnant but being fat and pregnant is the worst.  I lost an amazing amount of weight and not to mention centimetres of my guts before falling pregnant this time and it feels like I did all that for fucking nothing.

The point to this story is that I didn't make a complaint but I probably should have.  It's also that fat people are people too, and we have feelings, and judging people on how they look is fucking lame and pathetic.  So don't do it.  Just like you shouldn't judge a person by their clothes, their hair, their skin colour, their car, their dodgy eyeliner... it's crappy and you're a crappy person if you treat someone like they're inferior because of it!!

Onwards and upwards.

14.5 weeks to go.







No comments:

Post a Comment