5 Feb 2013

Thumbsucking

Title says it all really.  The Mushroom has found his thumb.

It all started a couple of weeks ago when the constant sucking started.  He was sticking the blanket in there, his singlet, his fist, toys, you name it, it was going in his mouth.  The fascination with the hands just grew and grew and two days ago he found his thumb.

Now what?  Where do we go from here?  The little turd wouldn't take a dummy and has now found the next best thing, his own damn thumb!

All the research I've done on the intermenets say it's not a bad thing.  He's found his hands, he can self soothe now, hooray for thumbsucking!  Until they're older, and they don't grow out of it.  Then it's boo for thumbsucking!  Boo, boo boo!

Taken last week... a precursor of things to come!
(Please excuse the state of my very messy bed.  Baby's, housework, appropriate excuse)  

I don't have a photo of him with it in his mouth yet but it's pretty much in there all the time now.  Insert frustrated face here.  I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it, because if you do, they just do it more.  Yes.  Rebellion at 15 weeks, who'd have thunk it?!  

I have tried to use toys to distract him and found things for him to grasp onto and suck but I think it's just his thing for now... obviously being my child does make him a little stressy so this must be his way of coping.  Stupidly I think he looks cute all the time, even with his own thumb shoved in his gob, but I'm hoping that it's just a phase, like everything else, and that it doesn't last forever!  Fingers crossed he does grow out of it pretty quickly because unlike a dummy, I can't just take his thumb away from him!  

No comments:

Post a Comment