20 Feb 2013

Misnomer

I just realised that I'm an idiot who spelt my son's name incorrectly.

When your boyfriend asks you if there's one or two 'l's in Maximilian after 24 hours of labour and an emergency c-section, it is understandable if you get it wrong.

When you're completing the birth details on official paperwork and you've been feeding around the clock, dealing with a newborn and recovering from a major operation, it is understandable if you get it wrong.

When you send away for the birth certificate, and you have that niggling feeling that something is wrong, it's understandable that you confuse that feeling for tiredness/stress/hormonal imbalance and just ignore it.

The fact remains.  We spelt it wrong.

I, the stickler for correct spelling, have a son, with a very old fashioned name, that we have spelt incorrectly.    And I just can't abide by incorrect spelling.  And before everyone carries on about different spelling, I have no problem with you spelling your child's name however you like!  It's fine! Drop the Y add an IE, use a double EE, I don't have a problem with that at all!  Spell it however you like.  My problem is that we chose a name, Maximilian, and that we didn't spell that name that we wanted for our child correctly.  We didn't set out to spell it differently.  At all.  We didn't even decide on the name until he was born!  Now it's bugging the hell out of me!

The question is, do we embrace it, just let it be as he's probably going to be known as Max his whole life, or do we change it so it's correct?!  Will he be embarrassed later if he's a professional smarty parts or such and he uses Maximillian and people are always pointing out that it's spelt incorrectly? Or does  it really not matter?

It only costs $18 to change on birth and records and to be honest, I just can't stop thinking about it.  What should I do?

Would I have to change this as well?!

1 comment: